• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Hand sore questions! (Dermatology question)

BottleOfOxy

Bluelighter
I'm not sure if anybody here has extensive knowledge about this but i thought i'd try asking everywhere, if anybody can help that'd be awsome.

My mom gets sores, blister like; yet it is like the blisters start under the skin and break outward, on her hands, the skin also dies and peals. The sores are painful and annoying and only occurred on her right hand thumb and index and then moved to her right hand middle finger and ring finger, and her left hand middle finger, ring finger, and pinky; over the course of about 15 years. yet she has never gotten it on her left hand; index and thumb and her right hand pinky.

The other key detail is that this only happens during the summer, starting in june and ending in as late as september or even october. she uses the same soaps etc. all year long so anything like that really wouldn't make sense. Also, when we have gone on vacations to warm climates (i.e. like summer) this also starts up her hand problems, even when it's during the American winter months that her body is used to.

Does anyone get this as well? Can anyone help diagnose her problem? No dermatologists have been able to help her yet, but i'm not sure if it is just because this is very rare. The odd things are that it seems to be caused just in warm summer like climates for longer periods of time.

P.S. She also has dermatitis on her feet as well, she suspects it is from the same condition, but it isn't regulated by warmth and looks different. So in all likeliness it is probably just another condition.

Please Help! Any relevant information will be appreciated! Thanks.

Sounds very much like pompholyx, also known as hand eczema and other names. I would suggest doing some googling to see if that is indeed the condition. Sounds like something from the eczema family, in any case, since it appears to be seasonal, as you suggest. If so, doctors will likely want to prescribe steroidal creams. The better solution would probably lie with trying to cure this from within. There is a good chance this may stem from one or more deficiencies within the body.

yeah she already gets steroid creams and it doesn't help a whole lot, i'll check with her and see. Thanks.

^I know exactly what your talking about, small blisters (look like tiny burns) they burst, skin goes hard peels but then gets deeper and deeper etc. Chances are its dermatitis that has spread (usually affects hands and feet, nail beds etc) - doctors can’t do much about it as believe it or not threes not that much they can do. There are strong drugs that you can take but you need to take them for a long period and they can cause damage to your kidneys/liver. The steroid / hydrocortisone creams can offer short term relief but I find they make the condition worse if used for too long (skin can go too hard and prone to splitting/ too dry and prone to further peeling) - best advice is to keep the area out of contact with any detergents/polish/washing up liquids and use a barrier cream (Vaseline seems to work the best) – this can help reduce the flaky/peely stage (which is prone to being picked) making the matter worse.

Stress-heat-moisture-detergent products-perfumed hand lotions-soaps etc all can trigger a flare up so use a non scented, ph balanced soap, if she doesn’t already tell her to use a separate towel / nail file/clippers for her hands and feet to avoid spreading it. IF you mum has wonky toenails then you can get a product containing “Amorolfine” which kills the infection and helps the new nail grow – this may take about 6 to 12 months of application before you see IF it works.

Hope some of the above helps : )

Bearlove said:
IF you mum has wonky toenails then you can get a product containing “Amorolfine” which kills the infection and helps the new nail grow
Oil of Oregano (wild oregano oil) also cures fungal infections without the need for drugs. You can apply this topically to the nails and cuticles, by premixing 2-3 drops of oil of oregano in a 50ml bottle of an oil of your choice (typically olive oil). You can also take it internally, by adding two drops of oil of oregano to a tablespoon of olive oil once a day. It is actually best to take it both externally and internally, so you are attacking the infection from within and on the outside. You'll also be hard pressed to find any notable side effects from this ages old and effective treatment.

i'll tell her all that and i don't believe it's any fungal related problems at all but i'll ask her, thanks